Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is a self-defense system, combat sport and martial art that focuses primarily on grappling and groundfighting. In BJJ there is no striking, kicking or punching involved, thus making it very open for anybody who wants to train this sport. The concept behind BJJ is that a smaller, weaker person can successfully defend against a much bigger and stronger opponent by applying the proper techniques, leverage and taking the fight to the ground. The goal in BJJ is to control your opponent on the ground by having dominant positions, joint locks or chokes. Because there is no striking involved, the sparring sessions can be done at full intensity without hurting your partner. Where at striking arts the sparring sessions can’t be done at full intensity, because of the major risk on injuries and hurting your opponent. Hence the techniques you learn in BJJ will actually be tested during sparring against an opponent who is actively sparring at a realistic intensity. Throughout the years the sport of BJJ has grown exponentially, especially in the US and Brazil. Nowadays the sport is also growing a lot in the Netherlands and the rest of Europe.
Benefits of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
• Highly effective self-defense system and combat sport.
• Full body workout – During BJJ you use your whole body and a lot of muscle groups (core, arms, legs, back) will be worked.
• Functional strength – In BJJ you are working with the bodyweight of your opponent, thus building up functional strength.
• Stamina and Cardio improvement – The sparring sessions and drilling of the techniques are done at high pace and intensity. As a result your stamina and cardio will improve significantly.
• Mental training – BJJ is a sport in which can be put into tough positions. During the training and sparring sessions your willpower to overcome bad positions will be tested and improved.
• Self-confidence – Your self-confidence can grow a lot in BJJ. You can easily track your own progress and you will notice after a while that you can overcome situations that looked impossible before. As you continue to grow in the sport, your self-confidence can grow along.
• Friendship – BJJ is a sport where you train in a group with people. We all share the common passion for the sport and you will meet a lot of different people. The training will build up friendships that can extend beyond the academy.